Apparently, Gentoo did away completely the `emerge sync` command/arg. I didn't notice this, since I had a cron job that was running the following every night
/usr/bin/emerge sync > /dev/null 2>&1
Obviously, I didn't see the output since it was piped to /dev/null. This use to work and apparently they got rid of it completely. Simple adding the '--sync' fixed the issue. Now I need to get my machines up to date.
What was happening was the `emerge sync` command was running, by running it by hand you can see what's going on.
Calculating dependencies... done!
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "sync".