Since the last portage upgrade, I've been seeing the following messages after emerging packages.
* Messages for package sys-libs/ss-1.40.2:
* This profile has not been tested thoroughly and is not considered to be
* a supported server profile at this time. For a supported server
* profile, please check the Hardened project (http://hardened.gentoo.org).
* This profile is merely a convenience for people who require a more
* minimal profile, yet are unable to use hardened due to restrictions in
* the software being used on the server. This profile should also be used
* if you require GCC 4.1 or Glibc 2.4 support. If you don't know if this
* applies to you, then it doesn't and you should probably be using
* Hardened, instead.
I wanted to get to the bottom of this, and see exactly what's going on. It turns out the profile that I have set in /etc/make.profile is a profile that is no longer available. Here is what I currently have:
make.profile -> ../usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2007.0/server
eselect profile list
Available profile symlink targets:
eselect profile set 5
ls -al /etc/ | grep make.profile
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 49 Sep 18 08:30 make.profile -> ..//usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2007.0